We have a range of open cart lodge garages which are based on our standard garage but without the garage doors, cart lodge bracing and to make the design have a rustic feel feather edge cladding is available as an option. You can mix and match with either doors or the open cart lodge detail. The cart lodge detail is a straight swap for doors.
100mm x 38mm Planed (Eased Edged) framing.
We use selected timber with a very high grade, which is subject to less twisting and warping, to provide a sound base to start from. Higher grade timber is slower grown to provide more strength.
FSC is from certified Forest Stewardship Council forests, meaning that the timber is sustainable (usually from Scandinavian Forests).
Tanalised Shiplap Cladding (125mm x 16mm)
The majority of our garages are constructed with shiplap cladding. The cladding itself appears similar to tongue and groove, except the internal part of the groove is missing from the profile. The basis behind shiplap is it allows a certain amount of natural movement to take place throughout the change in seasons. In relation to this, we have developed our own profile of shiplap with a large overlap and tongue, which offers more protection to the building, thus increasing the lifespan. The cladding itself is tanalised (E-tanalith) to provide a rot resistant finish for over 25 years.
One advantage of shiplap is that it has a planed finish, and it also provides a near flat finish. This helps when fitting items such as hinges and door furniture.
By tanalising the timber with E-Tanalith, we are protecting against rot & decay for 25+ years.
Plywood & Paper Lining
Initially we used to paper line the buildings with bitumen vapour barrier, to ensure the rainwater didn't soak into the building, however we found the paper will crinkle during the summer once it is dry. We therefore provide an additional skin of plywood to line the outside of the framing. In addition to the improved appearance, it provides extra rigidity and insulation, which is ideal for classic cars & bikes.
Should you wish to have windows in your building, we can offer you the following options.
The standard garage window (900mm x 600mm) is split into two parts, with an opening window to one side (hinged from the top), with the other side being fixed. The window is complete with toughened glass and brown window furniture.
The large garage window (1200mm x 900mm) has a top opening fan light, with a fixed glazed panel below. Toughened glass is included along with brown window furniture.
9 & 6 Pane windows can be added to the garage, especially if an elevation overlooks the garden. The top part of these windows are top opening, and they are complete with toughened glass & brass furniture.
Garden Office windows are Double Glazed and feature a double casement. Either brass or chrome furniture is fitted, along with window locks.
Should you wish to have the windows (and doors) double glazed, pleasecontact us for further details
The standard double doors, are ledged & braced double doors, treated in golden brown. They are complete with 2 front over-locking latches, and 3 pairs of hook & band hinges. Internally there is a drop bolt & pad bolt on the secondary door to secure it, whilst allowing the right hand door to open. The standard sized doors on most garages are 2440mm wide x 2134mm high, however 18' garages can only accept 2 sets of 7'3" wide double doors. Should you wish to upgrade the standard doors, we offer the following options.
White / Brown Metal Up & Over Doors. - These are Hormann doors, complete with frame. The standard Up & Over door is a canopy design, however should you require a motorised unit to be added, a fully retractable door will be required.
Cedar Double Doors. - These are the same size as the standard double doors, however they are fully framed, and plywood lined. The front is constructed from Cedar tongue & groove, whilst the hinges are more ornate cup hinges (as opposed to hook & band hinges). The lever handle on the front controls two steel rods that locate in the ground and in the framing of the building to provide additional security. The secondary door, features a pad bolt and a drop bolt.
Cedar Infill Up & Over Doors. - These are Hormann Up & Over doors, and feature cedar timber within a metal frame. Again the standard is a canopy style door, however should you require a motorised unit to be added, a fully retractable door will be required.
Personal Door. - Standard personnel doors match our standard double doors, in that they are ledged & braced and treated golden brown. Complete with 3 hook and band hinges, a pad bolt, and a hasp & staple (you will need to supply a padlock). Should you require a framed personal door, the size would be 840mm wide, and it would have a lever lock with a brass handle.
Bolted to Base
The customer is required to construct a concrete base (or this can be provided by Garden Retreat) of 150mm compacted hardcore, and 100mm concrete. If laying a new base, we would recommend that a DPM (damp proof membrane) is laid between the two. If you have an existing base, it is not necessary to dig up and lay a membrane. Once the concrete is set, a single layer of bricks is required around the perimeter (set to a plan provided by Garden Retreat). We recommend the concrete is larger all round (by 50mm) than the plan indicating the brick course. This stops the concrete breaking out when the garage is bolted through the engineering brick into the concrete base.
The sections of the garage sit on top of the brick course and are complete with a damp proof course. Our fitters will drill through the bottom rail of the building and into the concrete, and fix the building in place.
If you require a quotation on the base or further information and advice please do not heitate to contact us.
Standard roofing is heavy duty 38kg Green Mineral Felt onto 12mm O.S.B. Boarding. The boarding is fitted onto 50mm x 125mm joists (purlins), spaced at 2' centres. We can provide alternative roof coverings (please see options below). Should you require Onduline roof sheets - please note, we recommend sterling board underneath, because without the boarding it is liable to condensate during the winter.
The standard option of roof is O.S.B. (Sterling Board) with a heavy duty (38kg) green mineral felt covering. The life expectancy of this product is 6-8 years. This felt is included in the standard price for the buildings.
Should you wish to upgrade the roofing for cosmetic reasons or to increase the time between maintenance, we offer the following options.
Coloured Polyester Felt - This is available in the same colours as our Felt Tiles (Brown & Grey), and has a life expectancy of about 15 years. Please note this is only available on buildings up to 7m in length.
Black Onduline Roofing. - This has a corrugated profile and is compressed felt & bitumen, giving a life expectancy of 15 years. The standard colour is black, although other colours are available. Onduline has the benefit of offering a clear roof sheet to allow light, however we recommend sterling board is fitted on the roof before the Onduline to prevent condensation.
Felt Tile Roof. - These are sheets of felt that have a profile of 4 individual tiles within the sheet. They overlap each other and are staggered to provide a tiled effect roof. In addition to the tiles, underlay felt is laid over the boarding beforehand to provide a secondary skin. Angled tin and additional felt strips are fitted to the gables to prevent water ingress, thus providing a life expectancy of over 15 years.
Cedar tiles - These make a beautiful addition to any of our buildings, long lasting and they are set out on battening with under felt
Tapco Slate tiles. - These tiles have a life expectancy of 50 years and look fantastic as a lightweight replacement slate tile, follow the link to find out more about 'Tapco Slate'
Tiled Roof Option. - Should you require a tiled roof for planning reasons, we would be able to provide and fit the roof trusses (at 600mm centres) with a 30 degree pitch. We clad the gable ends for you, and fit the trusses in place, however a local tiler will need to batten & tile the roof, plus fit the soffits & guttering.
For further details & prices, please contact us
Not only do overhangs improve the appearance of the garages, they are important as they offer protection to the sides of the buildings. We include guttering as standard in either brown or black to allow rainwater to be easily collected and re-used, along with the obvious protective benefits.
Electrics can be provided by Garden Retreat, if you require a quote please do not hesitate to contact us.
Standard Specification at a Glance
- External Clad - 16mm x 125mm tanalised shiplap cladding requiring no maintenance for 25 years.
- 3 Layer triple lined external wall – Shiplap cladding plus vapour barrier, splash back DPM skirt, 4mm plywood lining all double nailed onto 100mm x 38mm timber framing.
- Vapour Barrier – The built in vapour barrier is an essential element of the structure to keep the damp out of the building.
- 100mm Framing - Sandinavian Redwood, slow grown which provides a closer grain to provide structural strength and rigidity.
- Pitched Roof at 20 Degrees - The pitched roof offers more headroom with the vaulted ceiling design.
- Vents in gable End - Ventilation is essential to enable the garage structure to breath naturally.
- Standard Double Doors - Brown timber doors with 2 over locking latches and galavanised fittings. Inside a pad bolt and drop bolt secures the left hand fixed door.
- Standard Roofing - for heavy duty use, 125mm timber purlins with 12mm OSB3 boarding followed by heavy duty 38kg green mineral felt roof.
- Bolted Down - The garage is bolted through the bottom rail, passes through the hole in the semi engineering brick into the concrete. This is repeated a number of times around the bottom rail to ensure the structure is secure and rigid.
- FSC Sustainable timber – All timber is from Scandinavian certified and sustainable forests.
- Standard Overhangs - 300mm to the front and sides, 150mm to the rear when the doors are in the gable ends. 300mm to the front and back, 150mm to the ends when the garage doors are under the eves. The guttering would be in addition to this. Overhangs can be adjusted if required, for example space restrictions.
- Ground Work – There are a range of options, Concrete base or existing hard standing. For more information please click hereorcontact us for advice.
- 2.5m High Garages - the garages are designed to be over 2.5m high as they are built with doors 7ft high. If the building needs to be 2.5m to the ridge height the sections are smaller and the pitch of the roof is more shallow. Garages with trusses bigger than 4.2m will require structural partitions to support the centre trusses.
Available Optional Extras
- 2.5m to Ridge - Reduce the ridge height to suit planning regulations.
- Cedar Clad - instead of our standard cladding we can replace with 12mm x 100mm cedar cladding.
- Increase Pitch - to 25 Degrees.
- 30 Degree Trusses - For tiled roofs.
- Felt Tiles - in slate grey or red/brown with under felt.
- Metal Roof - supplied in a range of colours.
- Onduline - Supplied in a range of colours onto OSB3 (Stirling Board).
- Cedar Shingles - long lasting and beautiful includes under felt and battening.
- Tapco Slate Roof - supplied and fitted onto under felt.
- Garage Windows - large or small, can be double glazed if required.
- Personnel Doors - standard, double or fully framed with lever lock.
- Garage Door Up-Grades - Metal up and over, (canopy or retractable) cedar or cedar in fill.
- Garage Door Fittings - various locking mechanisms.
- Garage Door Seals - Keep out leaves and driving rain.
- Motorised Units - For up and over doors, retractable.
- Shutter Lock - for standard doors.
- Shiplap Lining - to underside of overhangs.
Finance and Funding Options
- Garden Retreat can provide either Hire Purchase or Finance lease options and there is also a large amount of other funding resources available. Please click here for more information on Finance and Funding Options
If you require planning information we are happy to advise and support, please click here for further information.
All prices include installation, VAT, the only additional cost would be delivery which is listed in the table below.
For further information please either complete the contact form below or call one of our team.
|Cornwall – Supply Only||Price on Application|
|Scotland – Supply Only||Price on Application|
|Sussex East & West||£200.00|
|Tyne & Wear||£400.00|
Contact us for more information.